Welcome to the Town of Porter!
The Town of Porter, in the northwestern part of Rock County, was initially incorporated by the Wisconsin Legislature on Feb. 2, 1846, as the Town of “Oak,” because of the large oak trees in the oak-openings on the prairie. However, at the next session the name was changed to “Porter” to honor Dr. John Porter, from Massachusetts, one of the principle early settlers. Other early settlers included John Cook, Daniel Cook, Robinson Bent, Solomon Griggs, Joseph Osborn, John Rhinehart, Charles Stokes, Joshua Webb, William Webb, John Winston. Among the largest early farmers were Stephen Allen, Horace Fessenden, Daniel Lovejoy, Dennis McCarthy, J. P. Miller, Samuel Pound, Roger Shepherd, Jerome Vaughn, William Webb, John White, and Earle Woodbury